Tuesday, August 5, 2014

BELL'S PALSY

      Bell's palsy is a disorder of the cranial nerve that innervates muscles that control movements of the face. This cranial nerve is better known as the facial nerve as well as the 7th cranial nerve.  It can and often presents in a patient having a sudden paralysis or weakness covering half of the face.  By this I mean the patient's facial muscles will droop and not respond like they normally would. Examples include, the smile becoming asymmetrical on one side and the eye not closing.
       Let's say Rob, a 46 year old white male presented to my office with symptoms of bell's palsy and no history of trauma or infection.  The patient stated unknown immediate onset.  He said "I just woke up and only half of my face worked."  "I didn't know what to do but I remembered my dad had told me several times that his Chiropractor "Dr. Beck" has helped with his cranial nerve deficients including eye sight and focus so I thought I'd give you a try."
       A thorough neurological, orthopedic and x-ray examination were performed.  Patient x-rays findings were negative from fractures and pathology.  However the cervical x-ray series revealed structural misalignment effecting C-4,5,6.  Cranial nerve testing was performed.  All 12 cranial nerves were not functioning properly.  I proceeded to correct his cervical subluxations with manual adjustments.  We were able to correct and up regulate all cranial nerves with the use of a GRT-Lite, rapid release tool and Quantum Neurology.  The patient was able to recover approximately 70% of his facial movement on the very first treatment!  Full recovery was attained in five office visits.  By full recovery I mean that the patient was able to chew again, smile normally, have a symmetrical face, and close his eye.  Everybody was excited!     

 WWBJ

No comments:

Post a Comment